Skip to main content

Getting out of baby step limbo!

There is a limbo that nobody talks about in the baby steps. Or at least, one that I'm currently hitting right now. We have the $1,000 in our emergency fund, but we don't have enough money in our checking to make additional payments to debt!

This is the limbo I am referring too. But, we aren’t in hell...I don’t think. *pinches self* nope, I am very much alive! So we have the option to do something about this! 

Here are some of the ways I plan on getting out of limbo:
- do even more Overtime
- cut expenses
- Sell sell sell!

Overtime
As much as I’d love to relax with my family on the weekends, my work offers overtime on Saturday and Sunday. 


https://pixabay.com/vectors/work-overtime-over-night-stress-3992714/
If I work 5 hours on Saturday and 3 hours on Sunday, that would give me $242 more that week (before taxes). I earn time and a half on Sundays (because who wants to work on Sundays).

The great thing about doing overtime on the weekends is I don’t have to do it all in one sitting! I can do 2 hours in the morning and 3 hours in the afternoon. It’s super flexible!

Cut Expenses
This part will be tough! One of the ways I can cut back is to try even harder to buy less at work. Maybe I don’t need that extra snack in the afternoon, or maybe I can pack my own lunch to work most of the time and buy lunch every other week. Every little bit counts!

Sell Sell Sell!
We have some items we’ve been meaning to get rid of, so why not try to sell it first! We made $20 last weekend selling a curio cabinet that was just taking up room in the dining room. Cha-ching!

Those are some of the ways I'm going to try and beat this limbo I’ve been stuck in. Are you in limbo too? What are you going to try and do about it! Tweet me @DitchinDebt and let me know!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saving towards $1,000 in 2 months!

When we started the long journey to saving up $1,000 we were already about $250 shy of reaching $1,000. I like to think that most people have a good sense of saving at least SOMETHING in their savings. Even though we only had $250 to go until we met the amount, we couldn’t just drop that much from our checking to our savings because of our budget. We spend about $4000 a month on our debt, including our mortgage and we bring in about $4,200 (we found that out by doing our budget, we were very sad https://pixabay.com/photos/coins-currency-investment-insurance-1523383/ to see how close we were to not being able to afford anything) There was only one thing I could think of doing in order to get ourselves out of debt, and that was to do Overtime. If you are trying to get out of debt, overtime is your best friend. I’ve been working overtime an hour extra every weekday for the past few weeks and my check has increased a couple hundred dollars. The way my work does over time

Is millionaire status in my future?

As I listen to Dave Ramsey talk on his podcast, I often wonder if I would ever consider trying to become a millionaire. I mean, it would be pretty sweet to be a millionaire, but I'm not sure if I have the right smarts to invest or do anything that he suggests to do with Roth IRA’s, real estate, or the stock market. I understand a little bit about what he's talking about, but I'd be so afraid to mess up with the stock market or choosing the wrong real estate property, that I don't think it would be worth it. I read a book called The 30-minute millionaire by Jeff Cox and Peter Tanous and that did clear up some stuff about the stock market that I was a bit confused about. There is so much chance in the stock market that I'd rather just put money into my 401k and have my company match that or set up a Roth-IRA. A Roth-IRA seems the less risky move because if I dumb it down for myself, it’s a fancy savings account that I can’t touch until I'm 60. Real

Weekly Report: Vacation plans while paying off debt #4

This week was crazy for us. We are officially refinanced (which took what feels like an eternity) and this is our first week paying more for a whole week of daycare because my father, who normally watches my daughter on Thursdays, had surgery and is out of commission for a month or so. We are a bit worried about money this week because we've been paying so much debt the past three weeks. I think we went a little too hard but we'll be ok! So this week we didn't pay anything off, but we did start our taxes! We're expecting a lot for our tax return which we're hoping will make a nice dent towards our last credit card and our Disney trip we have planned. I know you're not supposed to go on vacation while doing this whole get out of debt journey but let's be real. As much as I love listening to Dave Ramsey every morning, he would say not to go on vacation until all my debt is paid off. But, I'm not a super hardcore Ramsinite who follows EVERYTHING he