Skip to main content

3 road blocks I'm facing becoming debt free

Becoming debt-free is not a stroll in the park. Saving money is difficult, working overtime gets old fast, and becoming debt free is a long journey. Here are some road blocks I've encountered during my journey of getting out of debt. 

Budgeting isn’t easy or simple 

I have been budgeting for about two months now and I still somehow come up barely affording anything. There are a lot of apps out there that help you put your bills into categories which is great to see. But budgeting is so much more than just writing down your monthly payments. Budgeting is choosing not to buy X because you’re saving money or not go to some movie that’s in theaters because the movie ticket just isn't worth it right now.

Budgeting = Sacrificing spending for fun for saving funds

Overtime is draining 

I work about 8-10 hours of overtime a week (depending on if I want to work on Sunday or not). I try to spread it out so I don't get burned out. I work an hour each day except Thursday which is half an hour then I work 4-5 hours on Saturday or Sunday. 

I’ve been doing this for about a month so I’m used to it. In the beginning, it was hard to get in that rhythm of staying late or working on the weekend when I just want to be with my family. 

There is no success overnight 

Just because you’re working overtime now doesn’t mean that you’ll be paying off those big debts right away. I am definitely less stressed out over “are we able to pay this bill this month” scenarios. But we have yet to make additional payments on our debt. Mostly because I want a small nest egg in our checking account so when we do start paying off debt I won't be saying “If only we didn’t put more towards that bill we’d be able to afford X”. 

I'm not trying to persuade you to not get out of debt, I'm just telling you my experience. You may have different hardships then me, but this is what i'm going through and what i'm working on. This will be one of the hardest adventures you'll ever go on. At the end of the day, this will be worth it. You'll be debt free and you won’t be living paycheck to paycheck anymore.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekly Report: Vacation plans while paying off debt #4

This week was crazy for us. We are officially refinanced (which took what feels like an eternity) and this is our first week paying more for a whole week of daycare because my father, who normally watches my daughter on Thursdays, had surgery and is out of commission for a month or so. We are a bit worried about money this week because we've been paying so much debt the past three weeks. I think we went a little too hard but we'll be ok! So this week we didn't pay anything off, but we did start our taxes! We're expecting a lot for our tax return which we're hoping will make a nice dent towards our last credit card and our Disney trip we have planned. I know you're not supposed to go on vacation while doing this whole get out of debt journey but let's be real. As much as I love listening to Dave Ramsey every morning, he would say not to go on vacation until all my debt is paid off. But, I'm not a super hardcore Ramsinite who follows EVERYTHING he

Weekly report: Credit Card Killers! #2

This week was huge for us! We FINALLY started our debt-free journey and let me tell you, I'm hooked! We paid off: Wifes Credit Card  ✓ Lowes Credit Card  ✓ Old ER bill  ✓ Electrical outlet job  ✓ We wanted to pay off more but we also want to be cautious. We wanted to make sure we still had enough money left to pay for utilities and other bills later in the month. As of January 1st, we have paid off $1,620.04 ! Pretty good for only 2 weeks into January! The plan for next week is to pay off 2 dental bills , and another medical bill and next month we start chipping away at my credit card. My Credit card is the largest one we have. About two years ago we purchased a new roof that went on both my wife’s credit card and my credit card. Then a few months ago we bought a new furnace for our home that I had to put the rebate amount on my credit card. It’s going to feel so good lifting that weight off our shoulders! If I were to do it over again I would have took out a

Best way to relieve financial stress during a pandemic

We are living in uncertain times. People are being laid off, we can’t leave our homes, it’s a real mess. But, with this time you can prepare yourself and your families for the foreseeable future by learning about personal finance. You don’t have to be a expert on personal finance you just need to know enough to get by. With this check everyone is getting from the government it’s a great place to start! I have no interest in politics, and I don’t know where the government made this money appear from, but I’m trying to get myself and my family out of debt not the United States! So free money is free money, as long as I don’t need to pay it back later with interest. So let’s pretend you’re a family of 3, you’ll be getting 3k from the government (woohoo). Instead of putting that towards a bill, save some of it. People have a lot of opinions on how much they should save for an emergency fund. My opinion is, it depends. When we receive the check, we’ll be putting at least 1k in our s