Skip to main content

5 easy ways to grocery shop efficiently (While staying on budget)

Efficiently shopping for groceries has become easier as more resources become available to us. The internet has made it easy to compare prices without leaving the comfort of your favorite chair! Here are some easy ways to save money on grocery shopping and to help you stay on budget! If you don't have a budget check out my blog post Here to see how I budget!

Plan what you're going to buy ahead of time.

When it comes to grocery shopping, you MUST think ahead. We have all been there. You go to turn down the chip aisle and it feels like you haven't eaten in what feels like days. Then you impulse buy and end up with $200 worth of junk food. That’s why you should come to the grocery store with a game plan and some recipes in mind. The recipes don’t have to be set in stone, some of the items on your list may not be on sale that week. But if you go in with a plan and think ahead you will more than likely not overspend. 

Shop around (look for those deals!) 

Market Basket, Roche Brothers, Aldi, the list goes on and on. Shop around! It’s not illegal to get some products at different stores. This may be time-consuming, but if you can find grocery stores close to each other it makes shopping a lot easier. For example, we recently found an Aldi’s (which is a super cheap food market) that was in the same plaza as a Market Basket. Score!

Browse Fliers/Sales online or at the store 

Most grocery stores have fliers on their website, or you can receive emails every week. Market Basket has that option and since that's our go-to store for deals I signed up. Checking for sales on items you want is a great way to save money. BUT, be warned that just because some items are buy 2 for $6 doesn’t mean that’s the only option. Usually, the off-brand or in our case Market Basket brand items are cheaper.

Coupon like a crazy person!

Coupons are one of those items where you’re like “do they even make those things anymore?” Yes, they do, and you should use them! I normally will look at the company’s websites to see if there are any coupons. You can either print them out (if you even have a printer) or you should be able to screenshot the coupon and just bring it up at the register. Some companies that have coupons that I’ve used are Green Giant and Pampers. 

Use Ibotta (or something similar) 

After making recipes, looking around at the different grocery stores, looking at fliers for sales and using your freshly clipped coupons, you’re done! But are you? There are apps out there that let you scan your receipt to get money back on certain products you buy. We use Ibotta and have cashed in a good amount from food shopping and other purchases. We have cashed out $40 in the past few months of scanning receipts. If you don’t have an account yet sign up here: https://ibotta.com/register?friend=gxqxrqg 

By doing all these steps, we don’t spend more than $50 a week for a vegetarian family of three. Some weeks are more than others because of bad sales or emergency items for the baby (like diapers and wipes). Are any of these steps new to you? Tweet me @DitchinDebt and let me know!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saving towards $1,000 in 2 months!

When we started the long journey to saving up $1,000 we were already about $250 shy of reaching $1,000. I like to think that most people have a good sense of saving at least SOMETHING in their savings. Even though we only had $250 to go until we met the amount, we couldn’t just drop that much from our checking to our savings because of our budget. We spend about $4000 a month on our debt, including our mortgage and we bring in about $4,200 (we found that out by doing our budget, we were very sad https://pixabay.com/photos/coins-currency-investment-insurance-1523383/ to see how close we were to not being able to afford anything) There was only one thing I could think of doing in order to get ourselves out of debt, and that was to do Overtime. If you are trying to get out of debt, overtime is your best friend. I’ve been working overtime an hour extra every weekday for the past few weeks and my check has increased a couple hundred dollars. The way my work does over time

Is millionaire status in my future?

As I listen to Dave Ramsey talk on his podcast, I often wonder if I would ever consider trying to become a millionaire. I mean, it would be pretty sweet to be a millionaire, but I'm not sure if I have the right smarts to invest or do anything that he suggests to do with Roth IRA’s, real estate, or the stock market. I understand a little bit about what he's talking about, but I'd be so afraid to mess up with the stock market or choosing the wrong real estate property, that I don't think it would be worth it. I read a book called The 30-minute millionaire by Jeff Cox and Peter Tanous and that did clear up some stuff about the stock market that I was a bit confused about. There is so much chance in the stock market that I'd rather just put money into my 401k and have my company match that or set up a Roth-IRA. A Roth-IRA seems the less risky move because if I dumb it down for myself, it’s a fancy savings account that I can’t touch until I'm 60. Real

Weekly Report: Vacation plans while paying off debt #4

This week was crazy for us. We are officially refinanced (which took what feels like an eternity) and this is our first week paying more for a whole week of daycare because my father, who normally watches my daughter on Thursdays, had surgery and is out of commission for a month or so. We are a bit worried about money this week because we've been paying so much debt the past three weeks. I think we went a little too hard but we'll be ok! So this week we didn't pay anything off, but we did start our taxes! We're expecting a lot for our tax return which we're hoping will make a nice dent towards our last credit card and our Disney trip we have planned. I know you're not supposed to go on vacation while doing this whole get out of debt journey but let's be real. As much as I love listening to Dave Ramsey every morning, he would say not to go on vacation until all my debt is paid off. But, I'm not a super hardcore Ramsinite who follows EVERYTHING he